The Student News Site of Vallivue High School

The Valli-Vue

Falcon Scores
  • Jan 10 / Frosh BBBVallivue - 34, Ridgevue - 54
  • Jan 10 / JV BBBVallivue - 46, Ridgevue - 54
  • Jan 10 / Varsity BBBVallivue - 83, Ridgevue - 85
  • Jan 9 / Varsity GBBVallivue - 26, Caldwell - 35
  • Jan 6 / JV GBBVallivue - 42, Wood River - 9
  • Jan 6 / Varsity GBBVallivue - 48, Wood River - 36
  • Jan 5 / Freshman GBBVallivue - 13, Emmett - 15
  • Jan 5 / JV GBBVallivue - 45, Emmett - 7
  • Jan 5 / Varsity GBBVallivue - 16, Emmett - 58
  • Jan 4 / Frosh BBBVallivue - 47, Columbia - 35

The Valli-Vue

The Valli-Vue

All Vallivue Schools Closed and Evacuated on Wednesday

After a bomb threat was sent via email, district officials decided to evacuate and close schools for the day to investigate and search every building. The threat was determined to be a hoax.
Deputy Chief Curt Shackle from Nampa, Assistant Superintendent Joey Palmer and Deputy Chief Shawn Sopoaga from Caldwell produced a video explaining the events on December 13. This video was sent to families and posted on the district’s Instagram and Facebook accounts.

At 7:36 a.m. on Wednesday, December 13, the Vallivue School District received a threat through email stating that there were bombs in all Vallivue schools that would be activated in a few hours. In response to this threat, the Vallivue School District evacuated all buildings and sent students and staff home, canceling school for the day. According to the investigation by both Nampa and Caldwell police departments, this was not a legitimate threat. Authorities spent much of the day on Wednesday clearing every building to ensure that each school was safe.

This threat was sent to multiple districts across the Treasure Valley, but Vallivue and Emmett were the only districts to evacuate and cancel school. According to Caldwell Police Captain Robert Rosin who spoke to KTVB news, “Ultimately, this disrupts students’ ability to learn in the classroom. Our job, our duty, our mission as school resource officers is to make sure that students can come to school and learn peacefully and safely,” Rosin said. “These types of events are extremely disrupting, to not only police department functions, but to the overall mission of education in childhood.”

Vallivue High School was evacuated at approximately 7:50 a.m. via the intercom. Staff and students who were present at school went outside and waited for further directions. Shortly after evacuating, staff and students were instructed to leave the property and go home for the day. Almost all buses were directed to turn around and take students back home while a few students had to wait for their bus to return to the school and pick them up. VHS staff members stood at the parking lot entrances and alerted students and families to the closure as some had not seen the message before driving to school.

In a video sent to families and posted on social media later that afternoon, Assistant Superintendent Joey Palmer, Deputy Chief Shawn Sopoaga from Caldwell and Deputy Chief Curt Shackle from Nampa discussed the events, emphasizing that it would be safe for students to return to school on Thursday and how serious these threats are taken.

“These are taken serious[ly] and there’s a lot of resources from the local, the state, and the federal side of law enforcement that will be looking into this and investigating it,” Shackle said. “You could spend some serious time in prison if you are found to be perpetrating one of these hoax[es].” Sopoaga stated that he believed the district made the right decision to cancel school.

All Vallivue students returned to school today and resumed normal operations.

Donate to The Valli-Vue

Your donation will support the student journalists of Vallivue High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Ms. Ford, Advisor
My name is Ms. Ford and I restarted the journalism class at Vallivue High in 2019, and it is now a full-year elective for students. I wanted to start the journalism class because I participated in my school newspaper in high school and college. I also worked on a small news program for kids on KTVB as a managing editor. I work collaboratively with Mr. Self and the VSPN program to bring all the latest news from Vallivue High School to the community.
Donate to The Valli-Vue