The Student News Site of Vallivue High School

The Valli-Vue

Falcon Scores
  • Jan 10 / Frosh BBBVallivue - 34, Ridgevue - 54
  • Jan 10 / JV BBBVallivue - 46, Ridgevue - 54
  • Jan 10 / Varsity BBBVallivue - 83, Ridgevue - 85
  • Jan 9 / Varsity GBBVallivue - 26, Caldwell - 35
  • Jan 6 / JV GBBVallivue - 42, Wood River - 9
  • Jan 6 / Varsity GBBVallivue - 48, Wood River - 36
  • Jan 5 / Freshman GBBVallivue - 13, Emmett - 15
  • Jan 5 / JV GBBVallivue - 45, Emmett - 7
  • Jan 5 / Varsity GBBVallivue - 16, Emmett - 58
  • Jan 4 / Frosh BBBVallivue - 47, Columbia - 35

The Valli-Vue

The Valli-Vue

VHS Students Organize Community Craft Fair to Benefit CTE Programs

The event will specifically fundraise for the welding and woodshop programs at VHS.
The VHS Craft Fair will be held all day on Saturday, November 18.

This year, Vallivue High School’s woodshop program is putting on the first annual Craft Fair. Headed by senior McKenna Douglas and junior Shailey Myers, the Craft Fair will be held on Saturday, November 18 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will run through the entirety of the school. It is being used to fundraise for the welding and woodshop classes,  two programs that don’t get much recognition.

Nearly 35 local vendors have paid a fee to set up booths around the school and in the parking lots. In order to ensure the diversity of products offered, there was a very rigorous check of each vendor, looking at what they sell and what they specialize in. “Our biggest concern was we wanted this to be a memorable event to our vendors, and we wanted them to both come in and leave feeling that it wasn’t a waste of time and money…” Douglas commented, ensuring that this event was to support every side of the community, not just the buyers. Douglas is the head of the logistics, handling communications, fees, limitations and much more. Myers has been leading the creative side of things, helping woodshop and welding students figure out what to make for the school’s booth. When asked what she thought of how students can learn and grow from this experience, Douglas said, “seeing that they can make a business and a living out of their passion and that it doesn’t just have to be a hobby, I think that can really nurture and grow their creativity.” Not only is this event a great way for students in woodshop and welding to learn about vendors in the community, but they can also grow their social experiences and show them that they can use things they are passionate about to create a business.

The money raised at this event will be put back into woodshop and welding. Myers added, “The class doesn’t get much funding, so we’re trying to get more funding to pay for equipment, wood, everything, pretty much.” Though the Craft Fair will be a very beneficial project for the students, vendors, and community involved, it has been so much work setting it up that Douglas commented on the fact that she is looking to make it her senior project. Being the first year that the Craft Fair has been put in place, there was much to consider. Budgeting, products, the set up and tear down of booths, where it would be held, and when it would be most available to the community were just a few of the problems that Myers and Douglas had to work through.

Though they may have had difficulties in setting up this event, the Craft Fair will be beneficial to all involved. The community is encouraged to come with their friends and family to support the lesser known woodshop and welding classes with all the hard work they do. While Douglas and Myers have put in a lot of work to benefit the school, they’re also looking to benefit the community.

Donate to The Valli-Vue

Your donation will support the student journalists of Vallivue High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Rylie Wilson, Staff Writer
My name is Rylie Wilson, and I am a sophomore student at VHS. After spending my freshman year at Caldwell High School and feeling trapped there, I decided to do what I felt I should and not worry so much about what others thought of me. Part of this was being unafraid to speak with people and write about what I love, which I knew journalism would help me do. I love to write stories about music, movies, plays, and generally anything in the world of entertainment. My biggest goal this year is to feel at home with myself, my stories, my school, and the world around me. 
Donate to The Valli-Vue